Leaving When You Are Still in Love


Tomorrow is my last day at Augsburg College, an amazing place in Minneapolis that on September 1 officially will be Augsburg University.

I've been fortunate to serve our students, faculty, staff, and community for more about 6.5 years. It's a time I've cherished and valued. I've made friends among our students. Among our faculty. And among our staff. I've been blessed beyond compare to be here and find my job challenging and rewarding -- something many people don't get to say about their work life.

I'm not leaving because I'm angry. I'm not at all mad.

I'm not leaving because I no longer like my job. In fact, it's a fun time and one of change and excitement. I'm leaving at a time when I mostly still am in love with this place and its mission.

Before getting into why I'm leaving, I need to give a shout out to the media -- television, newspapers, radio. It's been my great joy to help you find sources for your stories, to chase down faculty and students on your deadlines, to get to know you as individuals. It's been great fun to pitch you stories about about what makes Augsburg unique, including our deep dedication to equity, inclusion, and diversity; a 2016 graduating class that was 42 percent persons of color; a story about the first child born in Minnesota of Tibetan parents who played the Dalai Lama in the film Kundun; to help you gain access to world leaders through the Nobel Peace Prize Forum; and to help you shape your stories. I've loved working with you, Star Tribune, Minnesota Public Radio, KARE 11, WCCO TV, KSTP, KMSP, and Pioneer Press. New York Times. Inside Higher Education. Girls Life. The Scientist. Christian Science Monitor. It's been a rich, fun, wild ride. You can learn even more about the richness of Augsburg, the expertise of our faculty, our fantastic students, and more in the News section of one of our blogs.

I'm leaving because there's a chance I have to again do some things I miss and a chance to also make some lifestyle changes. Beginning Monday, I return to the risk management world. (I know, right? A lot of you wonder what the actual hell?) It's a world I like and with challenges that intrigue me. I'll serve a national organization as the director of education and events!

This new job, based in Albany, New York, is one that I will do from home. That means it also will allow me to work remotely. From anywhere! That means that once I learn more about my job, when I build the relationships that will allow me to succeed with colleagues and our members, I can explore where I might want to live. I don't really know much beyond that I plan to stay put for now and to build a solid foundation for success for the organization.

I do know, however, this: I've been given a golden ticket. I'm one of the lucky people who, post-cancer surgery, is expected to die of old age and not of cancer. I want to be wise about how I spend this amazing gift of time. And I'm hoping to spend it largely on family and friends after the work day ends.

I do also know this: I'm leaving a place I love for work I will love for a life I've been blessed to live.

Comments

Wiers said…
We will miss you dearly, Steff. And we know that you will rock it wherever you go and whatever you do. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go attend your going away soirée.
Unknown said…
Oh my gosh, Steff! What a beautiful reflection on life and work and community. You have been one of the people who have made my time at Augsburg magical. I'll miss having you in this community.
Unknown said…
OMG! I am going to miss you your insightful posts and most of all your amazing sense of humor. I feel so blessed to have met you back in 2014 and will never forget the platform you provided me for all of the "old farts" who went back to finish their education. I will let you know when I decide to go back and get that masters degree! Best of luck to you and please let me know where you land! One thing I do know is that you will be phenomenal! Take care Steff!

Popular Posts