What Happened in My Brain Today

Sometimes I spend a good chunk of time thinking about life, death, the cosmos, and what it all means. Other times I think about relationships with people I like, and people I love, and what all that means.

Other times, I think about stuff such as this: The world is filled with lots of crazy, neat, fascinating, complex, odd, you-name-it art made everyday by all kinds of people. Some of it is outside art, some of it is way, way outside art.

I'm not sure if this is art, but it created an emotional reaction in me.
Found this image and art here:
http://www.jimjamzoo.com/banana-inspiration-versus-banana-art/
That reaction included an out-loud snort and a smile, then a laugh. And then this thought:

I wonder if everyone wishes they could think like this so we all could make things such as this? Technically, this is probably easy to make. But it’s the “how do you think it” that is the problem. I can’t think it, so I’d never get to make it. And then if I made it, after seeing it, I’d feel as though I committed thought plagiarism. So, I'll probably never, ever make it.

And that's a bummer, because it means not enough people will know that, even though this is a silly monster made from a half rotten banana, it's a unique and genuine kind of creativity. (As is all the ridiculous banana art here:

I think that what separates artists from not-artists is the thought. In order to make it, you have to be able to think it, in the first place. That's where I fall down.

Other things I've thought about today include:
  • Fastidious squirrels: There is a big difference between Googling "squirrel cleaning" vs. "squirrel grooming. The latter gets videos of what I was thinking, the former of squirrel skinning.
  • The Bacon Flowchart: My niece is known to make bacon before she goes to bed so she can put it in her book bag for a snack at school. I'm sending her a copy of this.
  • Whether to play a joke on a friend who loves cats by sending an email with the word "cats" as the subject line to get him to open it, but to put a picture of bananas in it. I did it. I thought it was funny. Odds are higher it was just stupid. (Warning: The link to the photo does not go to the picture of bananas I sent to him. It includes cats and bananas. I should have sent him this, instead.)
  • Thankfulness for good food and conversation at an impromptu lunch meeting with a coworker.

Comments

i could visualize your snort, laugh, smile combo. i loved your thoughts and the reminder about the inspiration behind the art that is the real art. i get annoyed when people see art and say "Well I could have made that". Well, ya didn't, didja?
weissacre said…
Thanks, Wally, for knowing what I mean. I can copy art, but I can't make it. I call what I do "Arts and Craps."

Popular Posts