Mindfulness: The Practice of "Favorite" and "Thankful"

What was your favorite part of the day? 

What are you thankful for today?

Those two questions are simple and profound and can change your perspective on life. It sounds simple. Maybe even stupid. But it's the bottom-line truth. In fact, it's something I wrote about here back in 2009, before I got sick of the sound of my own voice in 2011 and stopped messing with No Backs. I'm circling back around to it here because I'm going to start tracking my favorite and thankful in this space. Just a little test for myself in accountability. 

Maybe you'd care to join me? You don't have to blog, but you can keep track in a notebook at home. That's what I've been doing until deciding to do it more publicly here. 
Two of the favorite business
cards collected since
working at Augsburg.
Wish I'd gotten selfies!

Favorite: January 23, 2014 - The favorite part of my day on January 23, 2014, was showing up stupid early at work to connect with a reporter from a Minneapolis television station for a segment she was going to do on Olympic figure skating. The reporter was lovely. So was the cameraman. And so was the man who taught the reporter a bit about skating - former U.S. Olympic Skater Mark Militano

I'm not one of those people who gets "star struck." I don't sign up for selfies with famous people if we happen to cross paths. And believe me, I'm blessed at work to run up against some amazing people including Nobel Peace Prize Laureates including Muhamad Yunus and Frederik de Klerk who serve as keynoters for the Augsburg College-hosted and coordinated Nobel Peace Prize Forum, Their Majesties the King and Queen of Norway, up and coming musicians such as Dessa and Omar Offendum. But once in awhile, I kick myself for not being that person. I think it would be great to have these mementos tucked away in my scrapbook. But the best I can do is ask for a business card. Must be my stoic Northern European heritage. Or something.

But back to my favorite part of January 23. It was meeting Mark Militano. I found him to be warm, funny, and open. Sharp witted. A little crusty. Just my kind of person! 

We teased one another a bit, I had the pleasure of watching him skate a little, and had that "a-ha" moment thinking "this is why people love watching this sport." Militano made his cruise around the rink look effortless. He pulled one leg up, lifted his arms, and spun in an ever-tightening circle. I could hear the sound of his skates chewing up the ice. And all I could think, and pardon my french, was "Holy shit. This guy still brings it." I was, simply, awestruck by the form and beauty. 

Thankful: January 23, 2014 - The thing I most was thankful for on January 23, 2014, is small. Really small. 

When I got home from work it was dark. My car was finally warmed up (it was stupid cold that day - something such as 13 degrees below zero according to the car's thermometer). 

I wasn't too excited about stepping out of the vehicle and onto the snowy
A real gobsmacker, ain't it?
Photo from rjmoeller.com 
pavement.
As I did just that, and as I thought about the idea that in only a few seconds I'd be greeted by the three wiggly butts of three rescue dogs and a hug from my sweetheart, I was gobsmacked by the stars. 

The sky was clear. I looked up before slamming the car door shut. I stopped. My gob was hanging open. The North Star. The Big Dipper. Orion. All there, twinking away in the dark winter sky. 

I was hauled from the future - thinking 30 seconds ahead to seeing the man and dogs - to the "right now." I was present. 

I slammed the car door and thought again of what was ahead. 

Comments

Popular Posts