Ripple Effects: A Lesson Taught that Crosses Communities

Community is something that I've been thinking about a good deal: What it is, where I've experienced it, how it shows its face in different portions of my life. I wrote a little about it on February 4, here. I won't regurgitate my thoughts on it now, but rather talk again about some of the ways community manifests itself in hopes you will think about the manners in which you are connected to the various people that make up your spheres at work, home, church, the gym, and wherever else you spend your time. 

For a first time reader of No Backs, it might be relevant for you to know that the blog this year (if I can stand the sound of my voice that long) will be a place to practice mindfulness about things for which I'm thankful on a day to day basis. It also will be a place to name my favorite part of the day. The reason is quite simple: To live in the present rather than thinking 30 seconds or 30 minutes into the future. You can read about the ideas surround this here.

For the rest of you, Ima gonna cut to the chase on "Favorite and Thankful" for February 5, 2014. Here's what made the cut.

Favorite: February 5, 2014 -- One piece of my job is to look for ways for the College community to tell its story to the outside world. That task often takes shape when I work to pitch stories to reporters at television stations, newspapers, radio stations, blogs, and magazines. It also comes into being when I respond to to an inquiry from a reporter about a topic. 

One of the things I love about being in media relations is that my job requires that I interact with many different people across campus. One day I might be talking with a faculty member about connecting with a faith-based publication about a study abroad trip to Scotland where students lived in silent contemplation for a week as monks do. A story in Metro Lutheran about such a
Stained glass at Augsburg College
Photo by Stephen Geffre at
http://instagram.com/p/jhFR4UDf3T/
trip is, for a College founded in the Lutheran tradition, important because it shows the faith community one way we grapple with religion as a relevant topic of education. Another day might find me asking a faculty member to share with a national publication his thoughts on creativity. Still other times it might mean working with a student from Yemen to highlight his work on issues of social justice or with students who earned the chance to go backstage at a Bon Jovi concert based upon their community service.


Working with students in the community is one of the most fun parts of my job. Augsburg is probably one of the most diverse colleges in the state of Minnesota and that means that I get to meet people from throughout the world. Ethiopia. Somalia. Yemen. Norway. Germany. China. Guatemala. So many places I lose track. 

Yesterday I spoke with a student from Syria. It was my favorite part of the day because, in amongst talking about a potential story idea in which I was hoping she would be involved, she took time to teach me a little bit about her faith and practice of Islam. We talked about the phrase "Masha' Allah." As I understand what she shared, it is translated as "whatever Allah wills." It's used when one is pleasantly surprised and pleased, and to express gratitude in that moment and recognition of God's hand in the work. (I do not practice Islam, so I hope that those who do will kindly forgive me if I've not gotten it quite right.) 

I was touched that the student took time to teach me, wasn't offended when I asked for help learning proper examples for how I might understand the phrase, and that she smiled when I clumsily said "Masha' Allah" to her in the moment at which I felt I kind of "got it." It was my favorite part of the day. 

Thankful: February 5, 2014 -- I'm thankful for the student I mentioned for taking time to teach me some. She also gave me a window in to other facets of her faith, and talked with me about several Hadith, which I understand to be some of the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad. (Again, to those in my community who practice Islam, please forgive my awkward manner. These things are new to me, but I'm truly thankful for the introduction I was provided.)

I'm thankful because her lessons and patience with me had a ripple effect. Later in the day, and while I was on Facebook, I was messaging a recent graduate. This former student and I became connected through a story I wrote about her, and she is among my favorite of favorite people. She is from Somalia and Kenya. As we texted back and forth, at the time that to me seemed most appropriate as she shared good news of her family and impending motherhood, I said "Masha' Allah." She texted back a smiley face emoji. I think I must have gotten things right.

In the larger context, the students I meet provide me rich opportunity to learn about the faiths of the world, the cultures of the world. It is intriguing and fascinating and humbling that any are willing to share their perspectives with me. How wonderful to be in a place that not only feeds my brain but stirs my soul a bit.

I know that the lessons I had in the Islamic faith will have impacts beyond the original conversation. I will share the story with my family and friends and, through that, teach others a small amount about the faith of another community. 

Masha' Allah. May we all create small waves with the capacity to change one another for the better.

Comments

Popular Posts